Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hello again!


I hope this blog is something you all enjoy reading. If there's anything you'd like me to talk about more, feel free to send me an email at chloe.milhous@gmail.com and let me know! I'll try my best to make it interesting.


This morning I woke up at 3 am, fell back asleep, and woke up again at 7:30. When I got up at 8:30, I could see my breath the same way you can when it's cold outside and your breath forms little clouds. My room was 43 degrees F. Now, it's 9:10 and 55 degrees F (I have a heater in my room that I turn on when I get out of bed). Japanese houses in general don't have central heating, so they use kerosene heaters instead. We have to turn them off at night so that no one suffocates at night, etc. So everything gets cold by morning. 


Last night I got to see my aunt and uncle who live here in Tokyo. My aunt came to the station close to me (a ten-minute walk from my house) and we went back to her house. It was only about a 45 minutes train ride. Not bad at all. After we got to their house, we went to play billiards for a while, and then we went to dinner. For dinner we had a bunch of yummy food, one of which was takoyaki, batter with veggies and octopus pieces cooked all together in a ball. It was super yummy! 


I'm having fun studying my Japanese and getting back into Japanese culture, which I missed very much. 


Today I went to Kokobunji Church with Nate (another short term missionary who is living in the same house as me currently - he's here to do disaster relief as well, so we'll be working with each other from time to time during my term) for the afternoon contemporary service. During the message time, which today was a small group bible study style teaching time, I experienced my first ever Japanese earthquake. We looked it up later and it was a 5.1 earthquake located near Fukushima. That was definitely an experience! I've never been very aware of earthquakes since we never got a lot of them in Boston, and if we did, they were not very strong. I'm sure I will be experiencing many more earthquakes during my time here. I'm glad that my first wasn't too bad.


On Tuesday, we're planning to do a "Tokyo Tour" - we'll have a list of places to go to in Tokyo, and we have to get there on our own! That should be a very fun experience! I'll update this blog after we do that, so I'll have something very interesting to write about.



後でお会いしましょう!
See you later!
~Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment